Cake for Breakfast

Yesterday was my last day of work as a tutor at Sylvan Learning Center. On weekdays, we work afternoon shifts, but on Saturdays, we work early mornings. So, I typically buy a bun or cake at a bakery on my way to work on Saturdays. However, I don't eat it until I arrive at the center, because I like to be as full as I can before teaching, as lunch is 4 hours away.

I had just opened my can of milk tea and had a few bites of my walnut cake yesterday morning when my coworker Katy pranced over to my desk and asked if I'd eaten breakfast yet. I said no, and then she darted away and quickly came back with a little cardboard box from Patisserie Tony Wong. I'd never heard of this fancy Hong Kong bakery before, but I will certainly go back there at some point.

Inside the box, were two little cakes just for me, as a farewell gift. First, there was a cheesecake, rich and creamy as cheesecakes should be, but often aren't in Hong Kong. It was garnished with a single blueberry sprinkled with gold flake. The second dessert was a semicircular mold made of w chocolate mousse over chocolate crunchy bits and then covered in a chocolate glaze.

I ate the cheesecake for breakfast and the very chocolately, creamy mousse with my lunch. And then after work, I had my own walnut cake, which certainly paled in comparison to Tony Wong's creations. Conclusion: Fancy bakeries are worth the money (at least sometimes), and food remains one of the best presents to receive.

Comments

Popular Posts